PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Any experienced guys suffered loss of confidence?
Old 13th Jan 2023, 04:37
WhatShortage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by adam84
Anyone have any experience of a sudden complete lack of flying confidence? I’ve been flying the 320 for almost 8 years now, over 4000 hours from the right seat, mostly uneventful, never needed any additional training. However the last 6 months I have completely lost confidence flying approaches and landings, particularly in windy/gusty conditions. Messing up a landing last year on a gusty day, ballooning the aircraft leading to a baulked landing is still playing in my mind, first time it’s happened to me.

Now the overthinking and anxiety go into overdrive when I see the dreaded forecast before a days flying. “Is my seat position right, to high to low, when am I taking power on/off, where am I looking in terms of aiming point/opposite threshold”, flare height etc.

give me a Cavok day with 10kts on the nose and no issues, I definitely think that improving my scan, staying better on profile and avoiding dipping low/high and getting big A/T changes late on those really gusty sink inducing days would help

The overthinking and anxiety is certainly a character trait, almost seems the more I overthink and worry the worse the result. Any advice greatly appreciated
Buddy, you've done 4000 hours uneventful and dozens of gusty landings without a single problem. Why aren't you gonna be able to do the same when you've been doing it FOR YEARS? Does that make sense?.
You haven't been landing properly for years because you were lucky you're skilled. Those bad landings are because you're over thinking it, confidence below zero and stressing on something you do PERFECTLY.

Get the snowball rolling when you do a good landing, next day think: today is gonna be equal or better than yesterday. Build that confidence again because the skill, you have it already.