PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL Passenger Limit in Australia
View Single Post
Old 13th Jan 2023, 01:50
Clinton McKenzie

Received 255 Likes on 125 Posts
That's some of the most concentrated folklore I've read in long time. Thanks for the belly laugh, 43!

Anyway, back to the PPL passenger limit. Another example...

Take an aircraft with a maximum seat configuration of 6 including the pilot’s seat. Along come two couples with two children each. By my maths that equals 8.

AC91-18v1.1 says, at para 3.2, citing Part 91 MOS sub-section 20.03(2):
3.2 Restraint of two children occupying one seat

3.2.1 Two children may occupy one seat and be restrained by one seatbelt, provided the following applies: [footnote reference to MOS sub-section 20.03(2)]

− the children are seated side-by-side

− their combined weight is not more than 77 kg

− the seatbelt is a lap belt that restrains both children in the seat when fastened.
So we have a six seat aircraft in which one of the adults is the PIC and holder of a PPL, her husband is in the front right seat, the other couple occupy the two second row seats, two children are seated side by side in the left seat of the third row and the other two children are seated side by side in the right seat of the third row, in accordance with the AC and MOS.

The direct costs of the flight are $8,000. The PIC pays $1,000 of the direct costs. The PIC is not remunerated. The flight is not advertised to the general public.

I reckon that’s a ‘cost-sharing’ flight within the scope of the current definition, even though there were 8 POB and the children didn’t contribute a cent towards the direct costs of the flight, and the PIC can be the holder of just a PPL. Please tell me why I’m wrong.

For convenience, here’s the current definition:
cost‑sharing: a flight is a cost‑sharing flight if:

(a) the flight is conducted using an aircraft with a maximum seat configuration of not more than 6, including the pilot’s seat; and

(b) the pilot in command is not remunerated for the flight; and

(c) the pilot in command pays an amount of the direct costs of the flight that is at least equal to the amount that would be paid by each person if the direct costs were evenly divided between all persons on board; and

(d) the flight is not advertised to the general public.
Do I need to go through the exercise using the same aircraft but with two adult friends with 4 children each, two to a seat in accordance with the AC and MOS, to show that there is no 6 POB limit even on flights that are cost-sharing?

Last edited by Clinton McKenzie; 13th Jan 2023 at 02:02.