PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Any experienced guys suffered loss of confidence?
Old 12th Jan 2023, 21:51
adam84

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any experienced guys suffered loss of confidence?

Anyone have any experience of a sudden complete lack of flying confidence? I’ve been flying the 320 for almost 8 years now, over 4000 hours from the right seat, mostly uneventful, never needed any additional training. However the last 6 months I have completely lost confidence flying approaches and landings, particularly in windy/gusty conditions. Messing up a landing last year on a gusty day, ballooning the aircraft leading to a baulked landing is still playing in my mind, first time it’s happened to me.

Now the overthinking and anxiety go into overdrive when I see the dreaded forecast before a days flying. “Is my seat position right, to high to low, when am I taking power on/off, where am I looking in terms of aiming point/opposite threshold”, flare height etc.

give me a Cavok day with 10kts on the nose and no issues, I definitely think that improving my scan, staying better on profile and avoiding dipping low/high and getting big A/T changes late on those really gusty sink inducing days would help

The overthinking and anxiety is certainly a character trait, almost seems the more I overthink and worry the worse the result. Any advice greatly appreciated