PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Two helicopters collide - Gold Coast, Queensland - Sea World 2/1/2023
Old 12th Jan 2023, 16:23
EESDL

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Ref #362
"All this talk of blindspots seems to avoid the issue the pilot never turns his head apart from to the right. The guy that spotted it was not even on that side of the cockpit.
slf here so what would I know..."

It's a good observation and I'm also struggling to understand why the Pilot wasn't craning his neck to confirm traffic. Don't misunderstand me - I'm sitting in a nice comfy armchair assuming there are common RTF calls made/position reports etc. Not convinced that there'll be a huge amount to learn from this tragedy that 'we', the industry, isn't already aware of.
Not sure ATC would have made such an impact in this case. From experience of flying in/out of Silverstone GP weekend in its 'heyday' I recalled what my first instructor told me to never forget.......Never believe ATC, Engineers or Medics - rather counter-intuitive you may think and has almost cost me my marriage after I come home from such events with a red neck from constant 'craning/swiveling' being mistaken for lipstick! There was ATC at Silverstone but tactical position 'misreporting', speeding, and undertaking was still the norm!