PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can anyone date and place this photo, please?
Old 12th Jan 2023, 15:15
Squipdit Fashions

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Exactly the photo of the EoF that I was working from! Also; the Liberte appears to have a lower bottom rung; no toeboard and the top rail is fitted above the bracket. Top rail on the OP photo is fitted flush, with an integral (inset) bracket in the underside of the teak rail. Apologies for getting us into the weeds of ships' railings!

As for what the subject was doing in the 3 months between return and transfer to the reserve - I suspect (if the photo is indeed the return journey) that there was 14 days disembarkation leave, a(nother) wings parade (trainees would also have been entitled to the Canadian NATO wings on completion, but this could not be worn on UK uniform), tailor's parade, admin, de-kitting, fitting for a finest demob suit - not to mention some bulling, buffing, painting and general military waiting around; just to remind the recipients that a year or two of learning to fly in Canada actually constituted National Service!

On a more serious note; Chris, as you say, I did gather the name; and having read the additional information thus available, it was quite the life and career. When the time is right and if the family wish, it would be great to share some wider details (perhaps also on the civil threads); people such as your colleague deserve to be remembered - which is exactly why I like (hope) to help with some of the historical threads where I can. I'm straying into the realms of speculation with this thread now; so as before, best wishes and thoughts to family and friends.
The following users liked this post: