PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can anyone date and place this photo, please?
Old 12th Jan 2023, 11:51
Chris Scott

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Squipdit Fashions
LJ - agreed; we'd already narrowed the image to 1957 or 1958, My feeling (mainly due to the apparent F/O rank, but also because the 5-bar rail is hugely reminiscent of the Empress of France's upper promenade/lifeboat deck - admittedly a long shot!) is the return journey in 1958; but I don't think it's Liverpool - the Empress of France would have probably discharged passengers at Princess landing stage, then berthed at the Canadian Pacific quay in Gladstone Dock; it doesn't look like contemporary images of either. Similarly, the skyline doesn't remind me of Montreal. So rather at a loss for the location. She also may possibly have stopped off at Quebec, or bunkered at Halifax, before the Atlantic crossing? C'mon, Ppruners with transatlantic crossing experience!
[...]
To return to the subject in hand; one more London Gazette entry for you, Chris - transfer to the reserve noted on 8th Nov 1958 (recorded in the 28th Nov Supplement). This corroborates with the seniority of promotion to Flying Officer in the reserve, at your post #25; but also signifies the date that the National Service period ended.
I did wonder if any ship afficionados might be able to distinguish between the deck rails of the Liberté and the Empress of France !

Thanks for the extra Gazette entry, from which I infer you worked out the name. If his National Service did not end (officially) till about 3 months after his return to Blighty, one wonders what he might have been doing in the interim. Am hoping his logbook will provide the answer, but any suggestions would be appreciated.