PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Missing light aircraft in the NT
View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2023, 02:32
Skippy69

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Geeze,

At no stage did Kath Av force these guys to sign on, they offered opportunity. If you want the big bucks, be my guest go on and get it, all the best in getting that job with 200 hrs. Cant keep staff?? Well can say that when I was actually employed by KA I was pretty keen to just not be in Katherine or Ngukkur after 12 months.

Regardless of pay, I still made it work, and know what those leaner weeks felt like. For the most part I was generally getting from memory about 700-900 a week. I lived within my means and had a great time doing it.

The current owner was only a Co owner when I was there and I know for a fact that he would be absolutely devastated. He was an honest hard working guy, I had and still do have the upmost respect for him.

There are not that many operators in the country that CASA cannot keep tabs on them, if it where really so bad, these companies wouldn't be around anymore. The problem stems from all the fees that are associated with flying that keeps costs up and profits low (in GA anyhow). As for other companies low balling, can confirm that a multi millionaire (Daddy money) who runs a Conquest and Heli service out of Jandakot will gladly run his business at a loss just to keep others from getting work. Sounds pretty familiar to what QANTAS does and did to its competition in years gone bye.

Whinging and whining about award rates etc, fair work mumbo jumbo is a great way to weed the kind of attitudes that poison and ruin workplaces. I'm certainly no lawyer but I was not the kind of guy to turn down opportunities. Certainly didn't do it for free and knew that I had a skill and should be paid for it, was also acutely aware that I was the bottom of the food chain in terms of experience and that with time I would be rewarded. An attitude that I feel like the current crop of fresh CPL pilots seem to overlook- not a dig, I think its generational.

Now when I fly over the TN VOR at FL350 sipping a coffee, I'm grateful for all they gave me, the friendships fostered. The job that from humble beginnings, has taken me to all parts of the world and led me to the seat I now sit in.
The following users liked this post: