PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Missing light aircraft in the NT
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2023, 12:49
lucille

Received 115 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by The Big 210 Driver

Whilst I do agree with you on the standard of training in Australia has dropped significantly since I learnt to fly. I don't think this played a MAJOR part in this very accident. It definitely played a part but maybe not a large one.

The thing is Instructing is never going to become a common career path in Australian GA. You'll find the odd career instructor but the money nor the big shiny heavy machinery just isn't there to lure people in. I agree there should be a minimum amount of hours (500 ish) before someone can get an instructor rating but I do think you'll just see less and less of them.

You said in your last comment, you never aspired to be an instructor.... Just like the rest of us yet someones gotta do it.

In the ideal world, instructors would have done their time on the “big heavy shiny machinery”, and no longer lust for the “glory” of sitting in a cockpit staring out into the black sky for 12 hours trying desperately to stay awake because their body clock didn’t allow them to sleep for the preceding two days.

There are many who would give this up for the joy of sleeping in their own beds and a normal family life were the salary to be respectable. I’m thinking that a salary like something in the order of a junior captain on a narrow body would attract many very suitably qualified and experienced guys into the profession. And then there are those who may have lost their Class 1 medicals who just disappear taking with them tens of thousands of hours of valuable experience.

Perhaps more than anything else, an experienced pilot will impart the subtleties of maintaining a standard, the strength of character needed to just say “No” and most importantly instil a curiosity to keep learning. Plus the myriad of other tips, hints and tricks of the trade. Call it mentoring, if you will.

And yes, it would cost more to get a CPL but it’s a price worth paying. Instructing should be a respected and respectable career path which, sadly, it is not. (But for a few notable exceptions).

I also agree the actual mechanics of manipulating the controls can be taught by anyone, I wouldn’t be surprised to learn if there’s someone out there who together with YouTube taught themselves to fly to solo standard.

I was thinking that these more “expensive” instructors be a requirement for all CPL candidates.

Anyhow, enough of the thread drift from me.

The following users liked this post: