PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Trans-cockpit authority gradient
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2023, 04:00
WideScreen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AnttiK
Hello pilots,

I'm preparing my academic work on the trans-cockpit authority gradient: What are the apparent components of pilot authority, and how a gradient forms between two pilots. This is quite evident for example in Tenerife 1977, two collisions of the B747. Despite this was pre-CRM era, we can see two very different crew dynamics in the CVR recordings. In Detroit 1990 with the runway incursion and collision, we see a very rare role-reversal with the CDR and FO. So there are many interesting cases out there.

It appears that the concept of the trans-cockpit authority gradient first conceived by Elwin Edwards in 1975 or 1988. However I can only locate citations and references. It would be very valuable to locate his original work.
So I thought that if anywhere, on this forum there is a small chance that someone knows where I can find the original source. Any other sources involving the trans-cockpit authority gradient are also very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Antti
Your starting point should be 1977/Tenerife/KLM/Pam-An. About the biggest airline accident in history, which triggered the insight gains of cockpit gradient effects/impacts and its remediations.