PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Max Hastings in the Times
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2023, 01:17
Lonewolf_50

Received 421 Likes on 263 Posts
Originally Posted by pax britanica
Ukraine has shown up once again that Europe can still be home to armed conflict and we cannot continue to expect the USA to bail us (Europe) out all the time . If Trump was still Pres who knows what could have happened, nuclear war? Siding with Pootin ?
INteresting question, no idea how that counterfactual would have worked out. While Mr Trump has on various occasions insisted that were he still President Mr Putin would not have done that -- I am very skeptical of that claim.
(Hell, if he said it was raining I'd first take a look out the window ...)
He might well have been an enabler for Vlad ... but as it worked out, we'll never know, a fact that many people in Ukraine are doubtless grateful for.
Unpopular; as the idea is a European army /defense force needs to happen sooner rather than later while there is still considerable regard and respect in the EU countries for Britains military competence and professionalism.
Well earned, based on my NATO experiences, and other bilateral ops experiences.
​​​​​​​ a European army /defense force needs to happen sooner rather than later
I totally support your point on that, and have since about 1997. (When I began to get an idea of what the Independent European Security Identity thing was all about). Sadly, it has failed as badly as the NH-90. Europe still suckles on the American Security Teat.
The sun has finally set on Empire these days.
You are a bit late to the party on that observation.