PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 8th Jan 2023, 13:35
richpea

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by truckflyer
I am trying to paint a realistic picture, applying for your first job at 52 -53 years old for an airline, is not going to be easy. Specially for one of the better companies. What you want to hear and reality are 2 very different things. If you are willing to invest over £100.000 at this age early 50's, you need to understand there is very little chance you will ever get this back.
Sure your CV might seem more "interesting", equally they know you arrive with a lot more "luggage", family, kids and a life outside aviation.
In addition it might be easier to train "young" pilots instead of "older" pilots, as we often don't have the same time to dedicate to the job as might be expected. Also consider example first job if you are lucky at 52, you will work the first 4-5 years for peanuts in most companies. If you only have few years left to retirement, would the company be eager to upgrade you to Captain?
Many companies are looking for pilots they can "mould" in a certain way of thinking and culture, I believe that if you start aiming for an airline career in your early 50's, you are unfortunately on the wrong end of the drag curve.

In the end is you choice what you decide to do, is your life and your money. However expect it to end up into nothing, that is the reality, unless you change your goals and expectations and can see other career paths that are not within the airlines.
Yes, people making the career change towards the end of their working life should definitely be doing it with their eyes open... this of course applies for pretty much any career if you are changing post 50 years old, I've heard the same advice you're giving related to older folks wanting to get into academia, archaeology and teaching. I guess the point is, do it if you're doing it for the experience and satisfaction of doing it and maybe fulfilling a life long dream. Maybe don't try it if you're expecting it to pay itself back financially or in terms of career security?