PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 8th Jan 2023, 13:23
truckflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by richpea
I'm not saying you don't have some points to consider, but I also think you paint an overly bleak picture.

At the end of the day the big thing I do agree with you on is that its really about how fast you are willing and able to progress your training as an older pilot, what you're willing to risk in terms of the life you already have, and how open your eyes are to the realities of being a new low hours airline pilot and that your employer (should you get one) is going to expect you to make the same sacrifices and moves as the guys who've just left 6th form college.
I am trying to paint a realistic picture, applying for your first job at 52 -53 years old for an airline, is not going to be easy. Specially for one of the better companies. What you want to hear and reality are 2 very different things. If you are willing to invest over £100.000 at this age early 50's, you need to understand there is very little chance you will ever get this back.
Sure your CV might seem more "interesting", equally they know you arrive with a lot more "luggage", family, kids and a life outside aviation.
In addition it might be easier to train "young" pilots instead of "older" pilots, as we often don't have the same time to dedicate to the job as might be expected. Also consider example first job if you are lucky at 52, you will work the first 4-5 years for peanuts in most companies. If you only have few years left to retirement, would the company be eager to upgrade you to Captain?
Many companies are looking for pilots they can "mould" in a certain way of thinking and culture, I believe that if you start aiming for an airline career in your early 50's, you are unfortunately on the wrong end of the drag curve.

In the end is you choice what you decide to do, is your life and your money. However expect it to end up into nothing, that is the reality, unless you change your goals and expectations and can see other career paths that are not within the airlines.