PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Two helicopters collide - Gold Coast, Queensland - Sea World 2/1/2023
Old 8th Jan 2023, 11:57
helispotter

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Traffic_Is_Er_Was
I'm not convinced that that is the climbing helicopter that's circled. If you watch the video on Youtube at 25% speed, the white structure looks to be in front of the rear of whatever that dark object is, (truncating the tail boom to look more like a Jetranger than an EC130). The EC has substantial rear skid struts that aren't obvious in the video. I think it is some feature on the ground. The rotor effect is the Channel 7 text scrolling across that feature.
I can relate to what you say, and am likewise still unsure if that is -XKQ, though it appears about where you might expect to see it directly in line with but above the helipad from which it had departed.

Images below are the departure helipad seen either from video footage taken from a Sea World joy flight some time back (posted on YouTube) or from the '3D' view on the Apple map app (from roughly the same perspective as it was seen from -XH9). The latter is also based on material from several years back. There is no obvious larger white structure near the helipad, though I guess it could easily be a white marquee set up at any time.