PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Two helicopters collide - Gold Coast, Queensland - Sea World 2/1/2023
Old 8th Jan 2023, 11:12
helispotter

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by havick
Couple of questions for those that have operated at Sea World before;

- Why was the departing aircraft taking off from the single pad as opposed to the four pads together?...
I see KRviator has responded from recent experience, but see also post #80 by Avv and post #280 where I copied some material shared by 'Speed Bird' on YouTube regarding the apparent usage over recent years of the various Sea World helipads. The discussions here so far have tended to focus on the Sea World facilities, but it is worth realising that Gold Coast Helitours has three helipads (and small hangar) at the end of a jetty off Marina Mirage not that far south of Sea World. Years back, there was also an operation called Happy Wave (based on logos on side of their Squirrel) that operated off a floating helipad on the Broadwater in generally the same area. I also remember a Hughes 500 was operating joy flights out of a paddock either to the north or south of Sea World back then, so the area has been busy with various joy flight operators from various locations all in reasonably close proximity for many years now. As far as I know, all those operations had remained accident free except for the loss of Long Ranger VH-TCH and all its occupants, which had been a single aircraft accident rather than a collision.