PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - China Eastern 737-800 MU5735 accident March 2022
Old 8th Jan 2023, 07:29
Turkey Brain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you for your replies and thoughts.

I would like to generate some discussion and hopefully action.

1: Recent info , no change to 737 - 800 design, no changes to pilot procedures. From Boeing, the plane responded as commanded .
Maybe someone has knowledge of the airlines rostering procedures, but there’s a chance that the relevant airline now have a tick box exercise,

BOX “ are the crew sane and did we demote a senior pilot who may hold a grudge against everyone ? “

2 : In response, we as an industry have done very well with multiple base cultures and corporate cultures to improve many aspects of safety in maintenance, ATC, weather reporting, aircraft design, pilot training.

So why is mental health still taboo ?

I am playing devils advocate, but really it’s just an area where we need awareness and some “ checks “ to follow or at least a basic awareness of risk. At the moment, all we have is 1 hr with an doctor each year and the hope of self reporting or an aware colleague who feels emboldened to refuse to fly with a colleague. This is a big step and chance of back up from an airline management or a local doctor seems unlikely.

So the only check as hinted at by SLF, ( highly valued customer) is when the plane tent pegs!

There are industries who have done the work and have awareness, I’ll find some references, I hope.

My guess ! any mental health professional given a face to face meeting with any human could probably decide after a fairly brief interview

“ do I trust this person with my family in the next month as the pilot of a plane, with a locked door policy? “

3: It has worked so far, in that no management has been jailed for corporate manslaughter. Hasn’t really helped the more recent victims.

Last edited by Turkey Brain; 8th Jan 2023 at 10:42. Reason: Sense