PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Two helicopters collide - Gold Coast, Queensland - Sea World 2/1/2023
Old 8th Jan 2023, 03:10
helispotter

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
Despite the good image enhancements made by Ivor_Bigunn (post #283) and DroneDog (post #286) I still struggle to interpret the attitude of VH-XKQ as seen by VH-XH9 in the video. To me, the stills make it look as if -XKQ is flying from left to right when in reality, we should be seeing it fairly much from its front right (and upper) quarter. Does anyone else similarly struggle to interpret what they see?

The footage taken from the departure helipad shows -XKQ maintaining a relatively consistent heading and fuselage pitch once climbing out from the pad. First screen shot below is cropped from that footage from an early stage of the departure with -XH9 also in view. Aside from differences introduced by perspective (tail looks relatively larger to the people on the ground than it would to passengers in -XH9), a horizontal flip of this image should then be a rough representation of the outline shape of -XKQ as seen on board -XH9 close to the time of impact (second image below). Of course you have to imagine seeing the aircraft from in front rather than behind when looking at this image. A cropped version of the enhancement by Ivor_Bigunn is the third image below. I can't reconcile these two.

Thanks to John Eacott for pointing us to the internal (approximate) pilot eye view of an EC130 (post #275) from the PHS website. I took a screen shot of this looking generally in the same direction as -XH9 would have been approaching -XKQ. While there is a lot of visibility out of the EC130, perhaps objects like the pillars and overhead console were still obstructing the view where it mattered the most in this case:

Last edited by helispotter; 8th Jan 2023 at 03:37.
The following users liked this post: