PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can anyone date and place this photo, please?
Old 7th Jan 2023, 15:12
Chris Scott

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Professor Plum
Hi chris,

[...] I can’t help regarding location-but date I reckon mid 1950’s.

My reasoning being that as he doesn’t have his wings, that picture will have been taken in his first few years of service. And after 1952 as alluded to by chevron.

Looks like he’s a Flying Officer in the photo (hard for me to be sure vs pilot officer as im looking at the photo on my iPhone).

If born in 1934 and joined age 18-ish as a Pilot officer, adding a few years to get to Flying Officer, would indicate a mid 1950’s date.

Or, if he joined as a Flying Officer after Uni, aged no less than 21, then that would suggest a mid 1950’s date.

[...] Also, details of anyone commissioning are published in the London Gazette-so that should indicate when he got his commission and in what rank he commissioned. Website HERE

Hope that helps.
Indeed it does, Prof.

An ex-RAF friend was also unsure if the ring was broad enough to be Flying Officer.

The London Gazette has a Pilot Officer of the same surname and initials, and with a BSc, being promoted to Flying Officer, effective 8/2/59 (seniority 8/11/58). According to his own all-too-brief account, this gent was flying in an airline by 1960 and had previously done a spell on an Avro 19 (Anson) for Decca Navigation.

He clearly admits to doing National Service, which I understand was 18 months. No mention of staying on in the RAF afterwards. If the Gazette entry is he, that would imply he joined the RAF for National Service with a university degree in 1957. Could he have been immediately commissioned as Pilot Officer? I haven't found the commissioning date yet.