PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - V-280 wins US ARMY FLRAA contract
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2023, 21:35
SplineDrive

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by 60FltMech
Having said that, New stuff is hard, and Bell has demonstrated something new and it will be, IF it can do everything it claims, a great advancement for Army Aviation and the Air Assault doctrine. That’s a fact. And as cynical as I am, and as hard as it is to say given the track record of the various services over the years, I think that not everyone involved in the flight evaluation of these competitors is a corrupt sellout. A lot of these issues that we are discussing here have been heavily evaluated by fellow aviators with pretty impressive professional experience.
It’s worth noting that tiltrotors as a concept aren’t new and the production V-280 would be following in the footsteps of the V-280 Tech Demonstrator, TR918 Deepwater UAV, 609 civil tiltrotor, TR911X Eagle Eye UAV, V-22 Osprey, XV-15, and the XV-3. That’s 70 years of tiltrotor research and products by Bell, usually in collaboration with NASA or one of the military services. The basics of “how to design, operate, and fly a tiltrotor” are well established. As you highlighted, I think the bigger risks are schedule and budget related, not technical.