PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Bovingdon - 1960s
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2023, 19:41
OUAQUKGF Ops

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Loss of HP Halifax G-AIAP Eagle Aviation 25th November 1950

Belfast Telegraph November 25th 1950. BNA.

Liverpool Echo November 25 1950. BNA

Nottingham Journal November 28th 1950. BNA

Apart from the official accident report (which I haven't seen) there is a paucity of easily accessed information about this crash. Initial Press reports obviously emanated from one source only. I thought that the best bet was to get hold of David Hedges' book 'The Eagle Years 1948-1968' which arrived in the post from Blackbushe yesterday. I hope that he won't mind if I quote from his book: 'On November 15th (1950) , Halifax G-AIAP was chartered by BOAC on a cargo run to Singapore on what was to be its last operation. It had to make an emergency landing at Luqa; Malta having been damaged in a severe storm and it remained there until repairs had been carried out. Following a routine stop at Dum Dum Airport, Calcutta, on November 25th, the aircraft swung on take-off and crashed into the airport buildings. Two of the crew of six were killed and others were injured including Captain Harold Watkins who was thrown out of the aircraft and suffered head injuries. The subsequent explosion and fire destroyed the aircraft.'

Having read this I had a look at the image above which alas has no provenance or any information on time and place. It is a bit water stained but if you blow it up a tiny bit what could be a lightning strike to the starboard nav light can be discerned. I dunno what you think about this ? Could be at Malta and quite possibly damage on the port side too judging from the crews' stance ?

Harold Watkins was the Chief Pilot of British Eagle until the bitter end. He went on to become Chief Pilot of Donaldson International at Gatwick.

Eagle Aviation never had their main operating base at Bovingdon but their Halifaxes were a common sight there period 1948-1950. G-AIAP was their sole surviving example at the time of its demise. It operated the last civilian movement of The Berlin Airlift on August 15th 1949 piloted by Captain 'Pancho' Villa having completed 390 airlift sorties (ref Arthur Pearcy). A couple of snaps to finish up with:

Ack Hedges 'The Eagle Years ' with thanks.
This, Eagle Aviation's first Halifax operated the Company's first commercial rotation on May 9th 1948 - Bovingdon-Verona-Bovingdon with a cargo of cherries. Withdrawn from use after the end of The Berlin Airlift and scrapped at Bovingdon in July 1949.

Photo A.J. Jackson via 'The Home of The Eagle' with thanks.
The 'Red Eagle' at Bovingdon in 1949. So called because of its livery in the colours of Vigntor Airways of Norway (LN-OAT) delivery not taken up. It operated through The Berlin Airlift and was scrapped at Luton in 1950.

Awaiting its fate at Luton 1950.

http://www.britisheagle.net/History-British-Eagle.htm

Last edited by OUAQUKGF Ops; 6th Jan 2023 at 22:31.