PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - V-280 wins US ARMY FLRAA contract
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2023, 18:58
SASless

Received 518 Likes on 216 Posts
Flug,

By ‘...autorotation issues..’ , do you mean that it can’t autorotate & the crew / passengers just sit waiting for the impact?
What I am referring to by asking that question is the situation that exists in the V-22 design where a successful helicopter style authoritative landing is not assured due to several design issues.

Tiltrotor aircraft are not helicopters and thus cannot be evaluated the same way as a helicopter.

Being a two engined aircraft with the capability of a single engine driving both proprotors the likelihood of the Osprey or 280 having need of such a autoroatative capability seems remote.

The question I posed is directed to the situation when a single remaining engine fails for some reason while the aircraft is in the "helicopter mode" (Rotors tilted upwards) and at a speed/height combination that does not allow for a transition to "airplane" mode.

The difference I see between the 280 and the 22 is the wing and engines on the 280 do not rotate but the proprotors do thus reducing the size of the envelope that presents that critical danger.

The V-22 design was driven by many factors that ultimately resulted in some degraded capabilities in power and performance when in the "helicopter" mode.

The 280 should benefit from the 22 program and be a better machine than its predecessor which was the first mass produced and operated Tiltrotor.

https://www.globalsecurity.org/milit...22-survive.htm

Last edited by SASless; 6th Jan 2023 at 19:53.