PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chocks away! Airfix’s Spitfire takes to the skies again.
Old 5th Jan 2023, 17:22
tdracer

Received 180 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by tdracer
Well, I just broke down and ordered one today. Wanted to get it from a local hobby shop (handy to have them stay in business - my favorite closed right before the pandemic - allegedly because they 'lost their lease' - need to keep this place going so I have somewhere to get things on short notice), but they didn't know if or when they'd ever get one in stock.
Yea! It showed up yesterday. Opened up the box and took a quick look - appears to be very good quality parts, and it includes a full color panel showing the exterior paint scheme, decal placement, etc. Nice touch.
However it seems to have a highly detailed cockpit and engine (I'm assuming access panels to show the engine are readily removable) - but zero information on what the original looked like. I'm pretty anal about getting scale details correct - particularly paint (a few years ago, when Estes Industries was getting their 50 Anniversary of the Apollo 11 moon landing Saturn V kit ready, they actually came to me to ask some questions about the exterior features of the second stage - which I readily knew ).
Anyway, anyone know a good resource for color pictures of the Spitfire cockpit and Rolls engine that I can reference?