PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Belgium
Thread: Air Belgium
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2023, 16:56
cefey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slam_dunk
Hi everybody, I'm looking at applying at Air Belgium on the 747-8 as a captain however i noticed that a lot of pilots (34) have left the company in the last year.
Can someone who (has worked there or) is working there give an update on working conditions?
Working schedule? positioning?
How is the daily operation?
Is there enough support from management?
How is OCC and Crewing operating?
Do you have enough support from them?
How the the simulator training?
Are you happy with your colleagues and their proficiency?
Are operations on A330 and B747-8 similar?
Last year there were rumours that the company was about to collapse, is there enough trust that the company will survive?
I recently noticed that Robert Denis, the fleetmanager 747, is leaving the company to be a Flight Ops Inspector at the BCAA. Is there a successor appointed?

Thanks if you are willing to answer my questions!
Hi mate!
I can share limited info I got:
Many pilots left for CMA-CGM for a better salary. Most of them were french guys returning home, so it does make sense.
The working schedule is random, depending on the fleet, experience, and company needs. You can expect between 2-3 and 7-8 days OFF between flights, so not bad.
OCC/Crewing is a challenge, just like every other company. That being said, there were some major changes in crewing recently and it is supposed to get much better.
All in all daily operation is smooth, with not many delays or issues. Of course, you might bump into issues in outstations, but that's part of being a pilot I guess.
According to rumours, 747 is very profitable, so should be safeŽish bet work-wise.
No idea about 747 vs 330. I would assume it is, I guess a lot depends on the contract/whom they are flying for. But (again, the assumption from my side, take it with a grain of salt!) Chinese own half of the company and they are deciding a lot about 747. So it supposed to be very stable. Once again, this is assumption.
There is good atmosphere within the crew and seems like quality on the crew is high.

There were rumours about AB going bust even before their first flight 4 years ago. AB did managed it well, did well during COVID and now they got some additional $$ from the investors (again, not insider info, but what can be found online).

Sorry for not being able to give you more concrete answers. I've recently joined the company and so far I like it a lot. Just like any other company it got its issues. Would I recommend it to a friend? Absolutely yes. So far I really enjoy my time in this company.
Downside, as you said yourself, its ICME with financial uncertainty. So if you plan to take your kids out of kindergarten, wife to quit her job, quit your stable job to move here - risky. If you don't have family/plan to commute as long as possible - might be really good option.