PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - V-280 wins US ARMY FLRAA contract
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2023, 12:16
CTR

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Flugzeug A
!
I mean based on the cost of the aircraft v the payload?
I suspect that though the V-280 can lift more , it’ll cost more because it’s a daftly expensive piece of kit!
There have been lots of comments regarding it now being ‘A 300mph battlefield’ but if your allies & other arms only have the old & slow stuff , doesn’t the battlefield remain slow too?
Flugzeug, Sorry, I only have access to what I can find online. There is quantitative data available on the Blackhawk out there. But as far as I can find, neither the Sikorsky Boeing team or Bell have published the specific data you’re asking for.

I’m sure some will try to use V-22 data as a baseline for the V-280 Valor. That would be a flawed comparison, however. The V-22 was the first generation production, tiltrotor, and the V-280 incorporates the many lessons, learned from700,000 V-22 flight hours.

At the same time, others will try to claim that the Defiant is similar to the Blackhawk. That would be even a more flawed a comparison. The Defiant is a very much more complex machine compared to a Blackhawk. And the total number of flight hours to base any evaluation on, is limited to a few hundred accumulated on flight test aircraft.

Qualitatively, it may be possible to draw some conclusions based on the complexity of each design. Maybe others out there can provide the information you are requesting.

As far as the speed question, higher speed makes sure you get there before the other guy. Getting you back fast saves lives.