PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Royal New Zealand Navy
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2023, 10:35
Akrotiri bad boy

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
With regard to recruitment and retention problems I feel New Zealand as a whole has been hoisted by its own petard.
Prior to the COVID fiasco NZ operated a punitive immigration system biased towards Oz, the pacific islands and China. I have members of my family who have lived and worked in NZ for over 20 years, about 5 years ago I attempted the move myself. At the time I held qualifications in marine engineering and was employed as a senior engineering superintendent, I was offered a post working with the Auckland Harbour authorities and another as a marine diesel trouble shooter/travelling spanner. Both employers asked that I first confirm my status with NZ immigration vis a vis qualifications, family status, criminal record, and age; this latter point proved to be my downfall. Having turned 50 I was told I would never be eligible for any form of residency and the posts would only be offered on a rolling two year work permit basis with me having to prove my suitability and progression at each renewal point. If I resigned or moved to another post I would be required to leave the country and apply anew. This was the first time I had experienced discrimination and it left a sour taste.
Perhaps I'm being churlish but I feel, certainly in my case, that NZ's age related discriminatory policies have led to their current shortage of suitably qualified people across their whole workforce.
I may be coaxed out of retirement, but it will be on my terms now, NZ missed their chance and I feel little pity for their plight.
The following users liked this post: