PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar and priorities
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2023, 09:44
Gnadenburg

Received 93 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by dr dre
So on one hand some say the cadets should go get “real experience in GA” and be vomited on flying in a higher risk environment for much lower pay, but on the other hand they should go to America and get paid more money to perform the same multi sector day airline gig, even though with the latest EBA total package for an F/O with allowances and overtime will be $150-200k, for an ENTRY level aviation job which is substantially higher than any entry level degree qualified job, or a FIFO gig?
Actually I never recommended GA my slant was more adventure, rounded aviation experience and money. 40 years at Jetstar- don’t do it unless you have to. It’s nauseating just thinking of it.

I’m not sure if the Jetstar cadets are high achievers out of Uni, but the cadets I flew with often were. Aviation was boring by the time they were 30 and had done their 5 years to a Wonder Command. A far higher percentage seemed likely to be positioning themselves to get out of aviation very early, than the generation before them who were non-cadets.

If you are young, take your Oztronaut training into the big bad world and live a little. It’s amazing and do get educated financially before you leave. Depending on where you live and what you are paid you can set yourself up in a decade versus a lifetime of Aussie shark patrols in an A320.