PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2023, 20:43
truckflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 73DT
Thanks VariablePitchP, I really appreciate the time you have taken to reply and you have given me the nudge I needed to move forward with this.

I'd like to think it's a realistic possibility, I am used to long training/development pathways and navigating regulatory issues but I know there is a long queue of younger, more talented women and men in front of me with longer career spans, hence I wanted a realistic perspective from someone who knows what they are talking about.

I'll book a Class 1 slot just now and ensure I can cross this hurdle first.

Thanks again.
"VariablePitchP" - warning, the advice given is extremely bad, actually some of the first I have seen, whoever they are, they clearly do not know the aviation world in Europe very well.

First my personal opinion I think you will struggle to get in with the airlines as your first job, definitely if you follow "VariablePitchP" advice. At this stage in life you have very few options. Brexit has not helped you, as you can't offer yourself to all of the EU, where there would have been some obscure opportunities to get a first job to get some experience.

I had a similar journey as you would like to embark on, but I was 10 years younger when I started, and due to the pandemic it took me around 10 years to get me to where I wanted and needed to be (should have been 8 if not for Covi, and I still have left another 11-12 years. I lost 2.5 years because of the pandemic, but I was lucky still having a job.

Are the jobs available for people your age, maybe, but going modular I would say at this stage you can forget getting an airline job. I did go modular myself, I waited 12 months after finishing before I got my first job with an EU operator, so I had to commute for this first job,

ATPL's would take you at least 6 months in the best case, another 6 - 12 months for CPL / IR / ME and MCC / JOC etc, you would be a lower hour pilot with no jet experience, and you will have spent at least 18 months, and imagine you are lucky and have a miracle, maybe in 30 months you get your first job as an FO (which I doubt will happen) You have lost at least 3 years living in uncertainty and spent loads of money and might still have no job to show for, and if you do have a job, expect to be paid not very well for at least 4 - 5 years.

I am no fan of the big training organizations, I think they overcharge and are taking advantage of people wanting to be pilots, however your best chance at your age, is that you manage to get enrolled in a course where you are guaranteed a job at the end of training. Sure modular will save you a lot of money, but what good is that if you have no job at the end of it.

I had a friend who did the course same time as me similar your age, and he was realistic in what was possible to achieve, of course he might get offered some job eventually, but I doubt you will ever make Captain with an airline if you go modular route. Even if you follow a program, there is a massive backlog in FO's who are waiting for upgrade, so expect it to take 5 -7 years from you start working.

If you have the money, apply and pass a course that guarantees you a job with an airline. At your age, you don't have time be messing around with other flying to gain experience, if that is what you want to do.

Get your medical first though, you might think you are fit, but there are thinks that can be hidden like ECG etc. that might be issues you are not aware of, so get that initial Class 1 done.

If you are happy to work as an instructor, then modular is maybe the way to go, depends what your goals are.