PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Two helicopters collide - Gold Coast, Queensland - Sea World 2/1/2023
Old 4th Jan 2023, 15:23
whoknows idont

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Torquetalk
you can have traffic warning systems like TCAS or less expensive alternatives, but in non-automated flight, they are going to be the last tool in the flight safety box. Well thought through and observed procedures go a looong way to minimizing risk. Consider also that there are still numpties flying around with their transponders switched off if there is no flight environment or regulatory requirement. Agree with earlier posters that such warning systems or lack of is not likely to be a significant contributor to this event.
I tend to disagree with the last statement. Yes, the accident could also have been prevented on a procedural level by flight path separation. However, I don't see that as an argument against traffic displays.
As crab wrote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]
(...)
There is nothing worse than knowing another aircraft is somewhere near you and not being able to see it.
I know that feeling all too well. If I get it I move my head around A LOT trying to eliminate the blind spots.
The pilot did not seem like he was even remotely expecting the second helicopter from the left.

I think adsb, flarm or another traffic display system might have very well given the necessary situational awareness to both pilots. I've had enough situations where I was very grateful for the ipad telling me in which direction to expect traffic.
"numpties flying around with their transponders switched off" will always be a problem at least until the regulators force them to. But arguably are not a factor here as the two helicopters were from the same operator.