PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Modular V Integrated (Merged) - Look here before starting a new thread!
Old 3rd Jan 2023, 21:08
Hawkers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi ryanw1516 ! Welcome aboard I can say that you have good opportunities because of your current job because airlines would rather accept someone who is in the field of aviation than someone who did something completely different than aviation. Please don't get me wrong, but they would rather hire a pilot with a CPL license who previously had a job refuelling school planes than a pilot with a CPL license who previously cleaned swimming pools. (every decent job is a job with respect) . The fact that you said that you have experience from 10 hours of flying on PPL training means nothing to you. You have to go to an integrated or modular course, but in this case you go to the modular one because of the flexibility. If you are going to do a course in the UK, then you need to find out which ATO is near you (because you don't want to spend money on travel/fuel/accommodation) but also that the ATO has good qualities. Before you go, you need at least Class 2 for PPL, while for CPL you need Class 1. You will listen to the theory and take 9 exams at the CAA, after which you will have a skill test to obtain a PPL license (which is also one of the conditions for a CPL). You can finish flying training in a short time, but again it depends on your ability, how much you progress and of course on the weather conditions/payment. I can't say for the UK how much schooling is for PPL, but I know for sure that in EU countries it ranges from 8 to 15,000 Euros.
The training is at least 45 hours + skill test, so you will leave the school with about 50 hours of training. I would advise you that if you go flying, do it as often as possible, because 1 hour of training a month means nothing to you - you will forget everything the next time. When you do that, you have a time building of 100 hours, which must be registered as PIC (Pilot In Command). When you've done all that, the NVFR (5h) follows. All of this is a prerequisite for you to start training for CPL, and of course you start listening to ATPL Theory,(for example here you have Theory 100% Online- https://www.easy-pilot.com/atpl-theory ,and its very good price! ) where you then have 13 exams. How much time you need for those 13 exams again depends on you, but if you constantly study for 6 hours a day, you will need a good 10-12 months to pass them all (don't forget that you have a time limit of 18 months to pass all 13 from the day of the first sitting ). In the meantime, you will do IR-SEP and IR-ME, CPL skill test. For this "party" in the EU you need from about 35K to 80K - depending on the ATO. When you finish all that, MCC is waiting for you (about 3.5k Euro) and so on... I would rather say to find a job and let the company pay for Type Rating but your salary to be reduced ( Type rating cost a lot of money it depends on type of aircraft, but its tricky if you pay alone from your pocket type rating for A320 30K and you don't find a job within a year -your 30K is gone forever. Some companies do the type rating and this is like "ticket" for entering the job position- strange but true. If you make good organization, it will save your time, money and everything. I hope this does not discourage you from moving on to be pilot There is a lot of more to talk about but even this is too long ,but i wrote as short as possible