PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Experimental Flight Testing
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2004, 05:36
Genghis the Engineer

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts
Like Airbedane (with whom I agree), my own first pass.

(15) I'd be careful of, there are pilots playing an active role in such things, and pilots who are simply putting an aeroplane consistently in the right place at the right time for Engineers on the ground to do all the work. The former may well be doing test flying, but I'd argue that the latter isn't.

(16) is an interesting one. It's a function carried out by TPs, FTEs and a few other aviation professionals - but I'm not sure I'd actually qualify it as "Experimental Test Flying".

I'd suggest adding in...

- Development of techniques for the evaluation of aircraft, equipment, systems, powerplant.

- Flying for the purposes of expanding understanding of the aerial environment.

And I'd suggest excluding (as SETP do) production and periodic testing, where the standard of an aircraft is known and it's behaviour is only being confirmed. SETP also exclude flying an aircraft purely for the purpose of testing equipment which is not being operated or evaluated directly by the pilot.

Also something to mull on (Lomcevak's opinion might be worth hearing on this) would be whether the training of test aircrew in flight test practice and techniques should be included or not? It can clearly only be done by a TP or FTE, but is it flight testing?

G