PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing 737 Max Recertification Testing - Finally.
Old 30th Dec 2022, 18:15
safetypee

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
A line in the sand

Thanks BFS

With that explanation, then my "is a puppet of political will,” would be better worded as might be seen 'as a puppet … ", by a worldly view of US process.

This may have a serious effect on world safety initiatives; will FAA rulings be seen as more politics than good safety intent. Can their views ever be accepted as bias free and thus the weight of their contribution in world issues will be diminished.

For these issues, the next move by those other authorities requiring 737 Max 7/10 modification could have a very significant effect. Even more so if the full alerting system modification is dropped - only specific, i.e. like Max 8.

If the other authorities hold the line (changed alerting system) then future safety activity should benefit. This is not so much about the 737 Max in particular, but as the principle of drawing a line, identifying the point in time, the need to change activity to improve safety. i.e. this grandfather (737 variant) is dead.

Alternatively, if the authorities 'harmonise' with the FAA, then it may be more difficult to achieve the much required change in aviation safety viewpoint: Safety-I and Safety-II, Resilience.
The dominant, controlling, legal backed rule making (FAA and EASA) will be able to avoid acceptance of the uncertainties associated with human activity (design, regulation, operation) in a modern and safe industry.

Next move; divide the opposition, diminish the strength of opposing views (US - world politics)

A safety 'line in the sand', is best drawn above the high-tide line of politics.