PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is The US Military Following Russia's Lead In Its Race To The Bottom?
Old 30th Dec 2022, 17:10
t43562

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by unmanned_droid
I'm 40 and I thought that 20 years ago after 5 years in the ATC and a 4 year degree. I'd seen what went on and how they lived and the type of people you'd have ot take orders from. The only thing that could have persuaded me to put up with that was the chance at a front seat, preferably in a helicopter or a.n.other aircraft. As it was UAS only recruited those with no need of glasses so off I went to design aircraft.

I still can't disagree with anything those young people said.
Though I'm from one of the former colonies at least 3 of my classmates entered the British Army. One became a Major and when I heard that I shuddered to think of the incredible risk of getting told what to do by such a person in any dangerous situation. He wasn't my enemy - I just got to work with him - he had fixed ideas, didn't listen, no insight and very keen on pressing the official school line on everything. He didn't think about the situation he was in very clearly or carefully and it was necessary to politely ignore his attempts to order one around and do what made sense.

While I'm interested in military matters the idea of putting my life in the hands of people who might randomly be like that is quite horrifying. We all work with people we think of as idiotic at some time or other but not usually ones who can tell you to go and get yourself killed.