PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cessna 150A Noseover on Santa Monica Beach
Old 30th Dec 2022, 14:14
ATC Watcher
Pegase Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WideScreen
When worried to keep the door further open than just ajar, maybe use the headset at the front end of the door (thinking in low-end Cessna types), one cup inside, one cup outside and the headband above the upper door hinge. Can be done in 10 seconds, whereas taking off your shoes can easily be 2x 1 minute fiddling with a yoke in front of you, especially for those who aren't 18 years old any longer, when you only have 60 seconds before your crash, and you have more serious things to worry about.
Yes, agree , anything to keep the door a few cm ajar will do . When we got those briefings we were all young so taking out a shoe was seconds and you can train and memorize the drill as everyone wears shoes. But indeed anything firm enough to sustain the impact shock will do, , you just have to know what it is and where it is located in a few seconds. I get the age factor though , do not think of that . The pax here was 90. But OK, we were not the PIC.
BTW this is why I hate flying PA28 over water with pax . Getting out on the right side side with only one door always causes me a problem...

@Pilot DAR :
speaking as someone who has been in exactly that situation,
Then we should listen to you with utmost respect . I never ditched, I only got the briefings and speak here from those briefings experience only . So I will stop here.

That said, I have however crashed a few times in my GA flying carreer , and one time with serious injuries. with 15 seconds or so to decide where to put the aircraft down in mountains. And despite my knowledge , I did not do everything according to the briefings . but if you had asked me before I would have assured you I would. .. Listening to safety presentations / sitting at home in front of a PC or being in a cockpit during an emergency are 2 very different things. Startle effect + stress is not easy to reproduce.

Last edited by Pilot DAR; 30th Dec 2022 at 15:50. Reason: typos