PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Missing light aircraft in the NT
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2022, 12:34
Bend alot

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Global Aviator
Those in the NT at the time will remember the Anindiyakwa Conquest that flew into a Thunderie.

A testament to a well built aircraft.

It shows what a Thunderie can do to an aircraft. Every leading edge looked like it had been hit with an ice pick, any fibre glass fairing gone. Now I maybe wrong on this part but the tail/empanage twisted.

Again memory could be wrong but Cessna didn’t write it off but rebuilt it, showing how tonka tough it was.

Now put a Cessna 210 into that same Thunderie…

The conquest pilot got into a situation he shouldn’t have been in and got away with it, a lesser built aircraft?

What’s my point?
I never saw that 441 but heard about it and Gary was indeed a great person and operator - 2 classes above any other.

But comparing the structural ability of a C210 to a C441 (single 300HP to a pressurised 1200+HP) is like comparing a Camry to a Sahara.

Note that Cessna soon after put a structural life on the C441 - grounding many (but you can get an EO to get around that!)
P.S Cessna stopped production of the Conquest in 1986 the same year they stopped the C210 production

Only 1 Sheety would have done that repair - lucky he was in Darwin & Cessna knew him well.

Last edited by Bend alot; 30th Dec 2022 at 12:37. Reason: Johnny