PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 over controlling/PIO fix.
View Single Post
Old 29th Dec 2022, 15:07
Check Airman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by iggy
I'm not saying that you are doing anything wrong, obviously you have your experience and know how to navigate your cockpit, but once I had a cadet, newly released, as PM, trying to take over the controls when I was doing the flare because he thought that "I was doing it wrong" (let's put this aside, please). He didn't announce anything, he didn't use the priority button. If I didn't had my finger ready to push the red button, his input plus mine would have put the airplane in a very compromised situation. Imagine this same thing while in turbulence, AP disconnected, you are trying to keep the airplane somewhere acceptable withing the flight envelope, while the guys next to you goes into panic, tries to over command the sidestick, and is unable to say anything coherent on the radio. That time you'll really need to have both fingers where they are meant to be.
Oh boy. A little too keen, was he? Lesson learned, and thanks for sharing. We’re certainly not immune to it here, but for the most part, there aren’t any “cadets” flying Airbuses. You’ll have a fair bit of airline experience before getting into an Airbus or Boeing, so that sort of thing should be minimised. I think that in both seats, it’s rare to find the PM guarding the controls at my airline.

I’ll definitely keep it in mind the next time I’m paired with someone new though.