PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing 737 Max Recertification Testing - Finally.
Old 29th Dec 2022, 14:45
WideScreen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by safetypee
The NTSB Release at this time is a 'shot across the bows', a reaction to political intervention in aviation safety processes. Highlighting the continuing need for strong, independent investigation (NTSB) to support an ailing regulatory body (FFA).

The core issue (NTSB report) remains … "design mitigation must adequately account for expected human behavior to be successful, and a thorough understanding of the flight crew’s performance in this accident is required not only for robust design mitigations but also for operational and training safety improvements necessary to achieve multiple layers of safety barriers to trap human errors and prevent accidents."

Note that ops and training are 'also'; another layer of safety, neither the primary nor ultimate safety barrier.

Thus the fundamental problem is how the processes of design and regulation consider human performance in certification: train humans to mitigate design weakness: or design systems to protect humans from their weaknesses.
There is no unique solution, thus the starting view is important.

The safety concern is where politicians define the starting view - law, control, regulation, thence issues of human activity 'are not our problem'. This is of particularly concern in an operating environment which now requires an alternative view - the human as an asset, learn from success in very safe system.

Politicians, FAA; Safety-I;

NTSB, and other regulators moving towards Safety-II.
Actually, I smell Boeing lobbying in Ethiopia, to downplay the relevant aspects on the Boeing diner plate.

The same what happened with Turkish in AMS, where the impact of the (I would call it) criminal unlogical logic of the captain RA sensor feeding to both Captain and FO control logic got significantly downplayed from the draft version to the final version of the crash report. Not to say, the weak cockpit overhead panels attaching, crushing the cockpit crew in case of a major accident, seems to have encountered the same faith.

Understandable, the NTBS comes up against this.