PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 29th Dec 2022, 12:30
73DT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Commercial pilot training at my age?

Hello

Honest advice sought please. I am 49 with a PPL, IR(R) nearly completed and about 250 hours. Becoming a pilot was always the plan since early childhood and I was sponsored through university on a RAF Cadetship but medically discharged just before IOT due to an issue that is long since resolved. I subsequently went into business for myself, did OK and have enough financial security that I can afford commercial pilot training and to take a job that I want to do, rather than worry too much about what it pays or what promotion prospects it offers. Mainly, I just want to enjoy what I do, work with some nice people and do a good job, ideally in an adequately resourced and apolitical environment.

After selling my company I retrained and now work for the NHS. On a good day I love it but overall I think I'd rather be flying. So, I am thinking about leaving my medical career behind, getting my CPL/IR and maybe flying for a (modest) living. I have a few specific questions and if anyone is able to answer all or any of them I would be very grateful:

1. Job opportunities - what (if any) job prospects might there be for a 50 year old pilot with a low hours CPL/IR? Where is the best place to look for such opportunities?
2. Training - would my employment prospects be strengthened by completing my training with one of the bigger flight training organisations?
3. Other ideas - are there any other interesting aviation career opportunities I could consider instead ? For example, I saw some advertisements recently for UAV pilots that appeared to be open to PPL holders, which sound interesting. As well as some flying experience I also had a successful 20 year career in business and I am also a qualified healthcare professional so perhaps there is a way to utilise this combined experience?

I appreciate the opportunities will be much more limited because of my age although I'm fit, healthy and hopefully have a solid 10-15 years left before I'm done, so time for one more career!

Any advice gratefully received, thank you.

Best wishes
73DT