PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Missing light aircraft in the NT
View Single Post
Old 29th Dec 2022, 08:48
compressor stall

Received 139 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by VVings33
The complete lack of respect I see from some on this forum and from some in the industry in general, especially in situations such as these, not only for the families and friends of the deceased, but for the work colleagues alike, is quite honestly astounding.

Many, many people are hurting. Real people read the words you post here, including the family and friends of those affected. Before you post anything, have a good hard think about how your words may affect those who’ve had their whole world turned upside down
I think I speak collectively for several posters here. Certainly at least one other. We understand many people close to the pilot are hurting and although many of us don’t know the pilot personally we all share the loss and understand friends’ and families’ hurt as we’ve seen this before at very close quarters. This isn’t our first rodeo.

I was that pilot 20 something years ago flying the same type of aircraft over the same route. As were many others here. It could have been me. It could have been many others here.

Just this afternoon, I spent 20 minutes at FL390 over the NT swapping old war stories (ours and others’) with my FO about VFR 210s at night around the NT in the wet. We - somewhat blackly - joked we got out unscathed. Just.

I hate reading about young pilots killed in GA. Weirdly the older I get the more it hits me. They could be my kids.

It shouldn’t still be happening.

I luckily worked for NT companies where I could and did say no. The first time I was in fear of losing my job. But the boss was understanding (“no problems, grab an hotel room and we’ll see you in the morning”). I have no doubt that this saved my life that day in similar conditions.

The company culture was such that I f I had an extra 0.4 on the MR if I had to go 30nm left and right of track or backtrack to get out of a blind alley it wasn’t challenged.

To be clear, I have no idea of the operator here as no rego so am not lobbing accusations at it or the pilot from the comfort of my flight deck.

I theorise that with the industry in such rapid movement there is a dearth of experienced mentors in the top end to push back against the inevitable corporate pressure and promote safety.

VFR across Arnhem Land in a monsoonal trough is not a walk in the park.

Young pilots need to be protected by a system. I was lucky. I had mentoring - albeit informal but through pilots that had done a couple of wet seasons - and support and backed by a company culture of not being penalised for doing what is safe on the day. I knew I could say no or divert.

RIP young aviator whose wings never saw their full potential and your passenger. Let’s hope this time around your loss is not in vain. Whatever the cause be it mechanical or otherwise I hope the industry learns from it.

Last edited by compressor stall; 29th Dec 2022 at 10:01. Reason: Ageing eyes and small phone.
The following 6 users liked this post by compressor stall: