PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Loss of market share for cathay
View Single Post
Old 29th Dec 2022, 08:22
VforVENDETTA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bokpiel
So if not made up, why don’t we hear any talk about this anywhere else? If a media outlet or the actual enlightened business & finance people on GeoExpat started mentioning this then I might have started to worry, but not on a pilot’s rumour forum.

Are you aware that the government is actually considering LOWERING stamp duty TAX for foreigners? They aren’t gonna raise income taxes either if they are so desperate to stop the brain drain. They still have a crap load of money in the war chest and it looks like things will FINALLY recover in 2023.

Also, please provide sources for your $169 billion and 83% figure. The only number I could find was “over $100 billion”, which ≠ $169 billion.
In a Bloomberg article dated Oct 13 2022. The deficit number forecast is cited at $159B and the shrinkage (GDP/economy) 3.2% sourced from a survey of 12 economists by bloomberg.

HK government's own website says -3.2 % shrinkage in 2022 alone, going down 3 years in a row so far. Interestingly it still states the budget deficit at $56B when Paul Chan financial secretary himself said " ... revised to over 100B" on Sep 18 2022. They can't even manage to put out the same official number, so how much credibility does it look like they have if you didn't already know their troubled relationship with the truth, HK gov.

So... do you get your news from the geoexpat? I F;ing hope you're joking.