PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Did You Fly The Vulcan?? (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2004, 03:20
BOING

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange things happened. As a new arrival in the Mess at Cottesmore I was assigned the upper room at the end of one of the wings. It did not take long to find out (exactly one night) that my room was directly above the QRA crew sleeping rooms.

When the QRA bell on the floor below sounded it must have taken me four months before I stopped leaping out of bed in the middle of the night to get dressed.

Another story on crew accommodation (aircraft type). There was a certain very senior officer who used to like to use a Vulcan as his personal executive jet. This involved a delux bed conversion in the visual bomb-aimers position plus VIP service to load his bags into the bomb-bay pannier when he arrived at the aircraft. Awaiting his arrival the bomb-bay doors were left open and a ladder of some sort was positioned against the pannier so that his bags could be immediately loaded and we were on our way.

It so happened that we were at a USAF base awaiting the VIP (it was dark) when several quite senior USAF pilot types arrived at the aircraft wanting to look around. Since we were busy I told then to help themselves. Shortly, from a distance, I saw the USAF types starting to climb the ladder to the pannier. I thought they were simply checking out the bomb-bay. It turned out that they thought it was the cockpit access. We ended up with one USAF pilot wondering how to get into the pannier, one on the ladder and the others waiting to climb up from below. Apparently they had watched "Thunderball" or something and thought we got into the cockpit via the bomb-bay. When they were shown the real way in I think they were even more surprised!