PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Missing light aircraft in the NT
View Single Post
Old 28th Dec 2022, 23:05
43Inches

Received 425 Likes on 233 Posts
That is a very good point, and I agree the level of pre study by many aspiring pilots is generally poor. They will study what they are told to but not go outside that to further their knowledge. This is a big problem for airline training as 30 years ago trainers were dealing with fairly experienced pilots and the training was a chat and some corrective manipulation, but now the new guys are very green and have to not only learn how to fly the line but are still learning weather, dealing with traffic, and just manipulative skills to fly IFR and by the numbers.

I still have a folder back from the 90's where I collected what I thought were good case study crash reports, like NNN (PA-31 1994) into Moorabbin or WGI into Launy and many others. Accidents I put to budding IFR and CPLs to have a read and think where they could have stopped the chain of events.

I always liked discussing NNN with students. Ask the question where do you think he stuffed up?, typical answer 'oh he should never have gone around with the engine windmilling', whilst true, he should never have departed for Moorabbin without re-planning for the days conditions... Then he would not have been running low on fuel due to massively increased headwinds, with two surging engines and aiming across the field at YMMB and being told to go round because he wasn't aligned with a runway, add to that poor fuel leaning and management procedures.

Last edited by 43Inches; 28th Dec 2022 at 23:29.