PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New RAF Uniforms
View Single Post
Old 27th Dec 2022, 21:34
Lima Juliet

Received 82 Likes on 34 Posts
This is an abstract from Psychological issues in military uniform design:

Military uniforms are standardized, distinctive forms of dress that distinguish soldiers and sailors from civilians. There are many psychological implications of military uniforms, including the importance of style, appearance and color, as well as insignia, decorations, and so on. These contribute to togetherness, orderliness and discipline, and add to the soldiers’ sense of camaraderie, cohesion, and esprit de corps. Some features contribute to formal patriotic displays. Other important human factors relate to practicality, functionality, utility, comfort, and bodily protection, which may affect soldier performance.
There are many reasons why getting uniform right is fairly important, the basics are in this abstract. It’s one more thing that RAF seems to have lost its way with. Our everyday uniforms have become bland and lifeless since the 1970s, the woolly pulley, the rain mac (replaced by the equally awful GPJ) and a distinct lack of any ability to display “insignia, decorations and so on”. The only time I normally get my decorations out are that I’m ordered to do a parade (funeral, jubilee, wedding, etc…) or I’m going for an interview with no tea or biscuits!