PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 over controlling/PIO fix.
View Single Post
Old 27th Dec 2022, 19:51
AerocatS2A

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Check Airman
As I said, if it seems it my be necessary to take over, I'm ready to go. Agree with you on the AP thing. Often, I see guys guarding the controls below (random altitude). I can't figure it out. If the AP falls out, it'll keep doing exactly what it was just doing. I'm left to conclude it must be a holdover from a previous type. Don't even mention the guy I saw guarding the thrust levers with the AT on
Ha. I do that on approach and after take-off till we are clean. It’s definitely a hold over from a previous type but it’s also a mindset thing. We are in a critical phase of flight and my brain needs to be on the stick and thrust levers. If I physically put my hands on the controls that helps get my brain in the right space. I find it particularly important when flying an approach after a long sector when I’m feeling a bit tired.

Edit: I think I used to do it even more in the past. I remember someone commenting that “you ex Dash 8 drivers always seem to like your hands on the thrust levers”. I had been guarding the thrust levers for the entire descent. This was in a 146 so no auto thrust but also few, if any, thrust changes required.