PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - More vintage air show stuff!
View Single Post
Old 27th Dec 2022, 15:40
Coltishall. loved it

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Finningley Boy
You're welcome Sir, I understand fully what you mean about retrieving archive film, my father had a collection of 8mm colour film, as seen in my link, it dated back to the 1950s and petered out about the beginning of the 1970s. It had many gems such as my christening back in early 1961, scenes of family occasions such as Christmas etc in a house in Kilwinning called Urana, which still stands across from the river Garnock today. There was also footage of Finningley air show in 1966. When he passed away in 1976, my mother handed the projector, screen and recorded reels over to her brother, my uncle. I've not seen them since, I wasn't happy at the time and all attempts to retrieve them have failed thus far. They last ended up in the hands of my aunt following a divorce settlement. I once had the opportunity to express my wish just to retrieve the reels to place them all on DVD set to music of the era, this was to give to my mother as a Birthday present. My uncle was unhelpful, refusing to give any contact details for my aunt, I think he honestly thought I was using this as some sort of excuse for poking my nose in unhelpfully between them. I haven't given up, my cousin is now my last hope via social media. But anyway I've rambled on as oft happens here, but I'm right with you, preservation of film footage is essential to help properly understand history, all the best fellah.

FB
Totally agree FB. As a lot of us are getting of a certain age? It's rather sad to here of family feuds over trivial stuff like old footage of aircraft etc, not to mention "who has the medals?" Incidentally....can anyone explain why on old 8mm film, there is always a "pubic hair" bottom RHS of shot lol !