PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ‘Suicidal Pilots are becoming main cause of fatalities’
Old 26th Dec 2022, 16:54
blind pew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Of course but it is a far more difficult problem to solve. I happened by a retired BOAC purser in a pub on Xmas eve who mentioned a colleague whose wife was leaving him and had hired an aircraft and taken her and himself out.

I felt sorry for the German Wings pilot despite the carnage that he had caused especially I had a few “difficult” times in my career..my first was chop flight with the CFI where I failed my third attempt at forced landings and was being flown back from Lee on Solent where his height keeping was atrocious so I launched into a verbal attack where upon he gave me another chance.

I did a rotation as a safety pilot for a DC9 co pilot trainee who was chopped in my view as a failing of instructors.

I had an hour of circuits at Stansted on the VC10 with a base trainer who didn’t know his job and snagged me unknowingly for a chop test... fortunately with a line trainer who did know his job.

One of my companies had pilot mentors with whom one could confidently discuss problems but I was failed by my last chief pilot )another Walter Mitty Brit) after I had a head injury combined with exposure to neurotoxins.

I honestly do not believe that it will change or can be changed more than marginally because of the system and personalities.

The best pilots I flew with (20 years RHS before my command) and three flag carriers with line pilots who didn’t want to be checkers nor trainers. The worst were management who for various reasons wanted to be in the office and chose their flights/crews including a mate who became fleet chief and chose mates to do his sim checks as well (such was his level of confidence). I had given him a room for a while, knowing that he was flying on antidepressants and one day he disappeared I went out searching for him in the local wood fearing the worse. Management saved his life imho.

As to the regulator, from a friend who went from the front line to the overseer he stated that the latter was filled with empire building and guarding one’s back.

The last year or so Good morning Britain has been doing a campaign of pledging minutes towards mental health - perhaps we need something in aviation.