PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ASCENT FI and QHI Recuritment - Pay?
View Single Post
Old 25th Dec 2022, 21:59
gipsymagpie

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Lima Juliet makes some good analysis above. As LJ highlights, the military pension (even in 2015 form) is hugely more valuable than anything in the private sector - if you don't know the difference between the value of the military defined benefit (guaranteed monthly income) versus civilian (big pot of cash you have to manage) then you have to educate yourself.

The real comparison should not be between the military and Ascent but rather between Ascent and instructor pilots in other parts of the businesses that make up Ascent and other similar onshore helicopter aviation companies. Instructor/examiners in these companies of the calibre of those found at Shawbury are paid signficantly more the either military pilots or Ascent instructors for essentially the same role. And they get to "do" stuff with helicopters alongside their instructor duties (eg HEMS).

I wonder if there are many Ascent instructors who have been civilian TRI/TRE? I am sure there are quite a few civilian TRI/TRE who have been at Ascent though - one way street? Only exception I suppose would be in the event of the civilian age limit.

But as LJ says it's horses for courses. You get a lot of flight time in Ascent from what I hear. And there's undoubtedly fun to be had zooming about doing tac stuff.