PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hill Helicopters HX50
View Single Post
Old 24th Dec 2022, 12:47
[email protected]

Received 630 Likes on 272 Posts
Originally Posted by Jetexec
Crab, I'm curious if you have sat in on any of the Hill updates. If you haven't, give it a go. Like Hughes500, I have a lot of optimism on the HX50. I bought # 24 and I am on the cusp of putting orders in on a couple of the commercial models. If a guy like Elon Musk can surpass the efforts of NASA in a short period, why is developing a new helicopter so surreal? As others have mentioned, even the biggest helicopter manufacturers have had flaws. I don't suspect Hill's concept will be perfect coming out of the gate, but developing an engine/helicopter isn't as genius as one would think (no disrespect here Jason). It takes a large set of nads, a bunch of money and some smart individuals. I think Jason checks all these boxes. The engine in my 407 is maybe 70's technology, developed with a slide ruler. I think developing something with computers and spitting out parts with modern CNC machines is cutting edge. I've owned a Robinson as well, and even an old school pioneer like Frank (on a tighter budget and less technology) manufactured some great products. I hear a lot of folks slagging their products too. A friend once told me "there are a lot of perfect ball players, but very few of them will set down their popcorn and come on to the field an pick up a bat". Thanks to guys like Jason for picking up a bat instead of eating popcorn.
Yes, I've sat through one or two but I wouldn't expect anything else but unbounded positivity from the people making the aircraft - doesn't mean it will happen or be on time or on cost.

If he succeeds then great but there have been problems already and he was trying something difficult to achieve even before Covid, war in Ukraine and Trussenomics made things trickier.

If he does succeed in making a functioning helicopter and it has the same spec he promised for the same cost he promised then the believers will be vindicated - I'm just not one of them.
The following users liked this post: