PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Weather leaves 300 oil workers stuck in North Sea
Old 24th Dec 2022, 09:36
PlasticCabDriver

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by HeliComparator
Other than G-TIGK which had arguably sub standard (as in an inappropriate certification standard) tail rotor blades - and 332L tail rotor blades were subsequently improved - I don’t think there have been any loss of life or loss of aircraft incidents from TL. However each strike is VERY EXPENSIVE as it generally requires replacement of blades, head, main rotor gearbox etc. And can be pretty alarming when you see the damage.

I have always thought the forecasting algorithms were pretty blunt but then again I can’t design a better one! My own TL strike was from stratus cloud, absolutely no turbulence at all. Then zap. A pretty minor one but resulted in a burnt rotor blade.

With regard to the current publicity there is “defence” that de-icing wouldn’t help. But surely if you can climb above -2C then you are clear of the TL zone. Maybe it depends on the specifics of a particular aircraft’s de-icing system?
I’m sure a CHC S-92 from a few years ago had one. The path of the current from point of entry through the blade, right through the MGB, down the TR drive train, through those GBs to the point of exit could be clearly seen. As you said, complete replacement of the entire transmission.

If you can get below -10°C then red areas can be treated as amber, which would most often be achieved by getting high enough to get that cold, so the S-92 can do this IMC if it has the RIPS working, 175 needs to be VMC below -10° (like the Puma) so a bit more limited in trying that option. Question always is though, if I am flying above a red area because it is < -10° outside, what happens if I suddenly have to descend?