PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Shoreham Airshow Crash Trial
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2022, 19:15
biscuit74

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ehwatezedoing
Well, that his judgement was impaired one way or another is hard to deny. You don't voluntary launch yourself into a loop without room to recovery unless you have suicidal tendency. So, without going too deep into the argument I can understand why it leaned towards that kind of result at the end.

My point of view only.
The obvious snag with that argument is that no-one (except the seriously mentally disturbed) takes off deliberately intending to have an accident, yet accidents happen. Most of them due to our human errors and mis-perceptions.

Far too many pilots have hit the ground due to errors in apparently simple maneouvres. 'Cognitive impairment' in every case, or simple mis-judgements plus possible lack of currency, lack of adequate oversight and inadequate practice - especially of the 'get-out' manoeuvres? I understans tucumseh's very valid points, but the serviceability of the aircraft is likley a red herring. More than that - if the aircraft was not performing satisfactorily, all the more reason and justification for an early abandonment of the maneoeuvre. It is hard when it is in public view becasue you feel reputation is on the line, but if safety really matters.it is the right action.

That said, clearly that was a successful effort by the defence to cloud the issue.