PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Shoreham Airshow Crash Trial
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2022, 10:08
Easy Street

Received 80 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by ehwatezedoing
Well, that his judgement was impaired one way or another is hard to deny. You don't voluntary launch yourself into a loop without room to recovery unless you have suicidal tendency. So, without going too deep into the argument I can understand why it leaned towards that kind of result at the end.

My point of view only.
Responsibility for this accident extends beyond the mishandling of the loop. The very fact that AH was conducting LL aerobatics at such a constrained site raises, in my view, other issues of culpability: both of himself and the show organisers. Putting yourself, or someone else in a position where an involuntary error brought on by lack of currency or experience could easily prove fatal is just as much a culpable misjudgment as knowingly entering a loop too low. You wouldn't expect a junior surgeon (or their employing hospital) to be able to plead 'temporary medical impairment' as a defence to a fatal error in a non-emergency surgical procedure which was attempted despite it being outside the individual's capability, even if they had got away with it on previous occasions.