PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 3 lost west of Brisbane Monday 29-8-22
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2022, 02:00
Flying Binghi

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Lead Balloon
Call me a slob, FB, but …

There are actually safety benefits in filling up.

As mentioned earlier, it makes fuel planning simpler.

It also gives you more options than you would otherwise have. (Remember: The list of useless things in flying includes air in your fuel tanks.)

It also keeps Vo higher than it would otherwise be. (Remember: An aeroplane’s Vo reduces as its weight reduces.)

Most ‘high performance singles’ can be filled with fuel plus a few POB and bags and remain within W&B limits. The difference in performance compared with carrying ‘just enough’ fuel (with reserves) is negligible.

I couldn’t find anything in the report about what the operator’s plans were for the next flight in the aircraft. Why refuel twice if you can fill up once and carry enough fuel for the next two or more planned flights? The greater the frequency of refuelling, the slower you are. Maybe the fuel at YBAF was more expensive? (I recall one trip where the cheapest fuel – by more than 10 cents per litre than any other stop – was at - of all places – YTGM.)

In short, I am completely unsurprised that the aircraft was filled with fuel, if that’s what happened, prior to the planned relatively short hop to YBAF. And I would not call a pilot a slob for doing so.
Heh, my tongue in check comments didn’t read so well..

Carn’t say I disagree with you Lead Ballon. I think it is likely the Dalby fuel stop discussion is not relevant to the prang.

And most of my ‘theories’, or better put ‘possibilities’, have been covered in the thread.
The following users liked this post: